Some of you will know that we have decided to travel pretty light on this trip.
Quite a few months ago when we started planning I (Matt) was reading around on the internet and found heaps of advice around long round the world trips – all stating take much less than you think and if possible get it all into a carry on. While initially we thought this was a bit crazy we started to get into it and eventually decided we were going to do our trip with a single carry on each.
Long story short and many many painful ( to Rachel) and fun ( to me) hours of internet research later we had decided on and purchased bags, clothing , shoes etc .
Our bags are convertible travel packs that can be used in a number of ways. Vital stats on weight below. These are legal carry on size and I used mine for a practice on my week to Chicago in June 2012 , worked a treat.
- Matts: 6.5 kg
- Rachels : 6.3 kg
For those of you who are even more interested we won’t go into the specific packing list but I have two pairs of shoes and a pair of jandals, Rachel has one pair of shoes and a pair of sandals, we have plenty of general clothing for most weather and don’t feel short on anything at this stage ( this stage being we haven’t started the trip yet!).
Bottom line though if we find this isn’t working we can cave in and buy different bags and / or more gear – no dramas.
Why are we doing it ?
Many reasons but here are some:
- Don’t have to wait at luggage carousels at airports and can check in later for many flights
- Security of knowing where your stuff is at all times
- Weighs less when you are walking around with it!
- Easier to move around in general- packing is faster when moving around often
- Save on baggage fees
- Simplicity of not having too much stuff and knowing what you do have
- Because we’ve said we would do this and now have to follow through
Above is everything we’re taking.
Next post will be Aloha from Hawaii!